Old 18-09-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Black Walnut Seeds

Sheldon expounded:

On Sep 16, 6:03?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

"D. Staples" wrote:

Stratification helps,

I believe the word you want is 'scarification'.

No, it's stratification. That means to subject a seed to a cold
period before it germinates. If you weren't so busy trying to prove
people wrong you'd know this.

With black walnut it's important to scarify (really just removing the
husks), then plant the seeds, the natural exposure to winter while in
the ground is all the stratification that's necessary, come spring
they'll already be germinating... otherwise come spring all you'll
have is cold walnuts in the fridge of which most when planted then
will not germinate because they haven't been scarified, and then those
really should be planted in the fall, so you lose a year. All things
equal, without scarification most walnut seeds do not germinate (in
nature left to their own devices most do not germinate), most that
have been scarified do germinate. There is no need to artificially
stratify black walnut but it's important to scarify. What is most
important is to protect newly planted seed from critters otherwise
whatever you do is all for nought, squirrels will probably dig up
90pct. I would plant black walnut in individual pots that are well
protected from critters (a cold frame is good). Protect pots until
they can be field planted as two year old seedlings, and then they'll
still neeed protection from deer and other critters. You obviously
didn't read the OP carefully... my recommendation is more advantageous

Delusions of grandeur cloud your mind yet again, Sheldon.

I take care of a farm in a nearby town that has a 1/2 mile driveway
lined with black walnuts. There is no 'scarification' of any seeds,
and they come up all over the place - after they've spent the winter
outside where the squirrels decide to plant them.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts