Old 18-09-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo[_3_] Jo[_3_] is offline

Default Unlikely Marrow

My in-laws gave me a plant during early summer which they told me was a
butternut squash. It grew well, trailed enormously, flowered and began to
fruit. I pinched out enough to leave just 2 fruit, one of which grew
decisively marrow-like in both shape and colour. It grew to about 20cm long
at which point I picked it (as it hadn't grown much in a couple of weeks)
and I decided to use it for my favourite marrow bake.
When I cut the so-called marrow in half it was yellow inside, like a
butternut squash. Nevertheless, I used it in my usual recipe and it was
very tasty - with the texture of a butternut sqash too.
Any idea what it could have been?
(I looked up squashes on the Internet and there was a Delicata squash which
looks a bit marrowlike but is creamy coloured with green stripes. My
vegetable was definitely imitating a standard marrow!)
Jo