Old 18-09-2007, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo[_3_] Jo[_3_] is offline

Default Unlikely Marrow

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Jo" wrote in message
My in-laws gave me a plant during early summer which they told me was a
butternut squash. It grew well, trailed enormously, flowered and began
to fruit. I pinched out enough to leave just 2 fruit, one of which grew
decisively marrow-like in both shape and colour. It grew to about 20cm
long at which point I picked it (as it hadn't grown much in a couple of
weeks) and I decided to use it for my favourite marrow bake.
When I cut the so-called marrow in half it was yellow inside, like a
butternut squash. Nevertheless, I used it in my usual recipe and it was
very tasty - with the texture of a butternut sqash too.
Any idea what it could have been?
(I looked up squashes on the Internet and there was a Delicata squash
which looks a bit marrowlike but is creamy coloured with green stripes.
My vegetable was definitely imitating a standard marrow!)
Jo

There are loads and loads of squashes etc, and are very difficult to be
sure you've got a specific kind, especially when they're seedlings, they
all look the same. A couple of years ago we planted two seedlings for
butternuts, and what we got is here-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...w/squashes.jpg

They were good though.

Steve

Blimey! There's no comparison....you certainly had a good crop of whatever
they were!

Jo