Old 19-09-2007, 10:08 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo[_3_] View Post
My in-laws gave me a plant during early summer which they told me was a butternut squash. It grew well, trailed enormously, flowered and began to fruit. I pinched out enough to leave just 2 fruit, one of which grew decisively marrow-like in both shape and colour.
If your in-laws grew seed they took from a butternut squash, then I expect it was a butternut/marrow cross. You have to be very careful to avoid cross-pollination between them when you want the seed. Reputable seed-producers put a chastity belt on the flowers and hand-pollinate to make sure they don't cross. With so many marrows in cultivation, squash tend to cross with marrows and produce marrow-shaped fruit in the next generation.