Old 19-09-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy Davy is offline

Default Raising Plants from Seed - sow now or Spring or greenhouse?

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Davy" wrote in message
news
During the 'Summer' I collected many wildflower seeds and want to sow

them
to raise hardy perennial wildflower plants for my garden.

I could either sow in trays:

- outdoors in the autumn and plant out in the Spring. But friends have
found that for some reason the plants disappear over the winter
- sow outdoors in the Spring. Plants get away well but are not big

enough
for planting out and surviving amongst grass etc until the next Spring
- sow in autumn and keep in a greenhouse through the winter and plant

out
in
spring

It is this last option that I would appreciate advice on. Is it likely

be
successful?

If they are seeds of wild flowers naturally found in Britain, go outdoors
now and throw the seeds where you want them. They'll know what to do.

Steve

Steve,
these are wildflowers to go into grass so most species cannot just be
scattered into the grass since, even if they germinated, they would be
smothered by the grass.
Davy