Old 20-09-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default The best thing .........

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

By the way the veranda was very easy to build on a DIY basis and if
anyone wants to do one at their house, drop me an email with
dimensions and I will tell you what you need and how to go about it.

I'm interested in the roof of it. I have built a pergatory[1], which at
the moment is roofless because I haven't quite made the decision. It is
triangular with very stout poles which would support a decent-sized ship,
let alone a roof.

I am torn between plastic (sheeting), sail material, and canvas. I have
seen all three. Any other ideas welcome. I would like it to be reasonably
easily removeable for cleaning after the winter, and possibly storeable in
the summer as it's nice to have no roof, like it is now.

[1] a cross between a pergola and a conservatory. More pergola. Ideas
mainly gleaned from structures at the Hampton Court exhibition earlier,
plus some advice from groundworkers, artists and gardeners. And publicans.

I would suggest cheap beach mats.
You can tie them on for the summer and they give shade and some shelter.
You could line with plastic sheeting first if you want it to be waterproof.
Take em down in winter.
Once the vines get going you won't need a roof :~))

(
http://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co...products_id=85)

Or something a bit more sturdy

http://www.thatch.co.uk/trolleyed/5/index.htm