Old 20-09-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A tree has fallen on my garden!

wrote in message
oups.com...
My neighbour has a lovely big black poplar. Last night a big old
branch dropped out of hte sky and squashed my garden:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The inside of the branch is really rotten:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The pale stuff is nice strong wood, the darker brown is just squishy
goo.

He's a decent chap and immediately accepted responsibility for
clearing up. What I'm worried about is how safe the tree is. There are
plenty more big branches that could fall on me or my kids, and I'm
concerned that the rot might be in other branches.

Any tree experts in the house? What needs to be done now?

Thanks

John

Suggest to your neighbour that he needs a tree expert to look at it, if he
does not agree say you would be happier if one did and contact the council
who will point you in the right direction.
It is a lovely old tree but if its on the way out there is no point hoping
it will get better so dealing with it sooner rather than later would be
sensible. It may be possible to pollard it lower and so still have some tree
left.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk