Old 20-09-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] aboleth@gmail.com is offline

Default A tree has fallen on my garden!

On 20 Sep, 10:34, "Uncle Marvo"
. com, I, Marvo, say :

On 20 Sep, 09:56, "Uncle Marvo"
. com, I, Marvo, say
:

My neighbour has a lovely big black poplar. Last night a big old
branch dropped out of hte sky and squashed my garden:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The inside of the branch is really rotten:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1384782...n/photostream/

The pale stuff is nice strong wood, the darker brown is just squishy
goo.

He's a decent chap and immediately accepted responsibility for
clearing up. What I'm worried about is how safe the tree is. There
are plenty more big branches that could fall on me or my kids, and
I'm concerned that the rot might be in other branches.

Any tree experts in the house? What needs to be done now?

Contact the council. They deal with dangerous trees, and it costs
nothing. Well, it costs someone, but it won't cost *you*.

Do you suggest this even though it's his tree on private property? I
thought it would be a private matter.

They have tree people who deal with this stuff. Well *our* one does, the
trees in question were on someone else's land. Most are.

If matey is willing to get it dealt with anyway, then obviously don't
bother.

Our local council, Hackney, doesn't have anything other than TPOs on
it's website. I suspect they would not get involved unless it was in a
public space.