Old 20-09-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01 DB01 is offline

Default Perennial lobelia - autumn treatment

i have attemted to grow lobelia but the snails and slugs destoy theme.
i can't use pellets as they might get in the pond
how did you stop the pests?
"Ildhund" wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/3y7bqe
shows a tubful of Lobelia Fan scarlet that are singing their last verse.
There are four or five plants in the tub, and for a long time in the
spring, I was not sure whether I hadn't by mistake planted some curious
variety of reddish-green lettuce. But since it stopped raining, the tub
has delighted us for two months with a stunning display of red spikes up
to four feet tall.

Being an absolute beginner at this gardening lark, I now wonder whether
anyone could advise me how to maximize the potential for an equally
spectacular performance next year. One of the photos shows that many of
the spikes have new leaf growth, some at the bottom, some halfway up and
some at the very top. Should I cut the spikes back? How far? Can I save
some seeds for sowing next spring? If leave the tub outside all winter,
should I protect it somehow? (I'll have to leave it out, anyway - no
indoor storage here.)

You were all very kind answering my last query about a pot plant, so I'm
hoping for a repeat performance.
--
Noel