Old 20-09-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Irrigation vs rainfall

In the UK we get restrictions put on our water consumption during
drought periods. The first thing to go is the use of hoses and
sprinklers for watering gardens, and pressure hoses (or any type of
hosepipe) for cleaning cars. When these restrictions are in force it is
not unheard of for helicopters to be sent up to check for green lawns -
those found guilty of violating restrictions get heavily fined. It is
still allowed to water a garden by hand as this is far more efficient
and the water is targetted......and we are still allowed to use
hosepipes to fill ponds and paddling/swimming pools.....

Personally I don't agree with the long term use of sprinklers to water
gardens mainly because they are wasteful and inefficient. Running them
throughout the day IMO is not as beneficial as a twice daily watering at
dawn and dusk (less issues with evaporation). I would also hesitate, as
much as I love my garden, to plant anything that would require many
hours of watering to get it to survive (possibly as I tend to forget to
do it).....far better to plant something suited to the climate or at
least something only requiring a twice daily soaking.

Now, the use of irrigation for farming is a different matter but still
has to be done with a degree of common sense.

Water is not a limitless resource and we have to consider the impact on
the environment when sourcing it. Diverting rivers or damming them can
have a massive impact on the ecosystem....potentially turning areas into
desert that had been fertile......there are many examples worldwide
where this has happened or where one country diverts a river to the
detriment of the population of another (can't remember the exact example
just that this was reported on last year some time).

Those of us lucky enough to live in the developed world tend to take our
water supply for granted - and yes, I do too, but less so after spending
a day last summer (when it was hot) without any running water being
supplied to the house (burst water pipe meaning around 1000 homes were
cut off) and the drought restrictions in force last year. I have nothing
against watering garden plants per se but I do think careful
consideration should be given to ensure that it is done in the most
efficient way.

Gill