Old 21-09-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Rose Cuttings - What now? (bit long)

Hi all

In 1989 I was given a rose by my grandmother which I planted against the
back wall of our first house.
When we moved into rented accommodation in 2001, I transplanted the rose to
my parents' house.
It has stayed there since, growing weaker with each passing year. I doubt
it would survive another move.
For sentimental reasons, I wanted to propogate cuttings (before the parent
gave up the ghost) and plant these in the garden of our current house.
I have no idea of the name of the rose - it is a climber with sharp thorns
and red blooms.

Recently my mother gave me 2 of the blooms with quite a lot of "stem".
As usual, once the blooms had died, I dually potted two of the stems up and
it looks like these have taken as there are new shoots forming.

Finally - the question...........

What should I do with these cuttings?
They are currently on a window cill where I am concerned that they will grow
weak and "gangly".
I do not have a green house.
Should I be placing these outdoors to harden or is that dangerous
considering the turn in the weather?

As it has taken many attempts to strike these cuttings, I am eager to take
whatever measures are necessary to ensure their survival.
Also I am interested to know how close to the original plant these offspring
will be - will the plant change growth habit and turn to bush form?

Any experienced comment appreciated

TIA

Phil