Old 21-09-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Irrigation vs rainfall

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:38:19 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

do it).....far better to plant something suited to the climate or at
least something only requiring a twice daily soaking.

The problem with this is, you get a shallow root system and trees blow over
and can't survive a drought. Deep watering puts roots deeper and further
out from the tree. In a drought the tree is more apt to make it without
watering. This works for lawns also.

Take my maple (please!) griddled July 06. Started shedding a few leaves
late August of 06, pretty normal fall. With no water for 9 months, it puts
out a tons of seeds in spring 07, and leafs out. There is obviously a whole
lot of water storage in a large tree. Soil types, climate conditions, YMMV,
if one even has to deep water.

Different areas require different practices. The above is just what the
County Extension agent teaches the Master Gardeners for my area. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us