Old 21-09-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Plant ID please

On Sep 20, 5:26 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

Potentilla.
There is a bunch of these herbaceous ones (e.g. Gibson's Scarlet) with
brick red flowers. It might be hard to tell which variety but it is a
Potentilla. The most familiar garden Potentillas are shrubby with
white, yellow or orange flowers related to P.fruticosa but you have
one of the non shrubby ones. I have one exactly like that in my front
garden. Nice plant although the flowers are usually a bit sparse.

Des