Old 21-09-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A tree has fallen on my garden!

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"aboleth" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 20 Sep, 12:15, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

That just wshows how unenlightened are insurance companies. They work on
legend rather than research.

I've just heard about a house built of wool which has had to be demolished
because it's a fire hazard! Wool won't burn, firemen's suits are - or

were -
made from wool. At the weekend I was wearing felted wool gloves to deal

with
my fire - the same ones used by blacksmiths.

There are too many myths around in our 'progressive' age.

Mary

I do not know the particular circumstances of the wool house, but your
statement that wool will not burn is only partially true, raw wool is highly
flammable and burns with intense heat and was considered a dangerous cargo.
once washed and fulled or felted then it is indeed fire retardant.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk