Old 21-09-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default fall~is~here!

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:15:04 CST, "MLF" wrote:

Alternatively, Is there anyone reading this who has had good luck with
inexpensive lilies in the Gulf Coast region? What kind were they?

My hardy water lilies seem to respond to water temperature and hours
of sunlight and every type I've tried does well here. I believe they
would do well for you. I do have one that will grow in deeper water
and grows bigger, maybe a bit more tendency to climb out of the pot
than most of the others and I think it might have been dug from the
wild out of one of our local lakes. The others are Lowe's whatever
they have this year, mostly un-named varieties just different colors
and some have leaves that are more interesting. I really think we
have an edge on growing most plants being this far South and getting
more direct sunlight and heat.

They grow well when placed in a pot of garden soil with a couple time
released fertilizer spikes. However, I don't have much luck with
bare root growth. I've tried several, but those grow slowly and
seldom bloom in my pond.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb