Old 03-04-2003, 05:45 PM
teapot

Default tall plants for shallow ground

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article , Victoria Clare writes:

(teapot) wrote in news:438ce6ab.0304030312.2d140cd1
| @posting.google.com:
|
| Can anyone suggest tall plants that will grow in a couple of feet of
| soil. I can onlythink of bamboo and jerusalem artichokes.
|
| How tall do you want?
|
| A lot of native trees will grow at least as tall as bamboo in 2 feet of
| soil as long as there is a decent spread for the roots - hazel, for
| example. Dogwoods aren't particularly deeprooted, for a lower screen.

The other and even bigger question is how waterlogged it gets in
winter and how dry in summer. As you say, 2' of soil is not in
itself a problem, not even if you need 50' trees.

I'm posting on behalf of a friend. She is trying to make a screen for
the traffic that is quite heavy and about 30 yards away from her front
garden. All the plants will need to go next to a meter high wall and
underneath the soil (which is not very good) is builders rubble. She
wants a nice high screen so she can pretend she lives in the country.
Isn't hazel a problem planted next to a house? Her front garden is
about 30ft (if that) long, with a gate at the front end and the house
at the other. Drainage is good and it is on the shady side of the
garden. Hope this helps and thanks for the help!

teapot