Old 22-09-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default The Absolute Worst Flower for Your Garden

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal.

Has anyone grown it in a garden? Not as far as I know (it is an
obligate parasite of certain specific plants).

The Titan Arum, on the other hand, another large carrion flower, is
grown in captivity, with increasing success in recent years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_arum

My friends grew a Voodoo Lily in their front yard in central Indiana. It
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked but it was pretty cool, nonetheless.

There is a native shrub that's popular in these parts which is one of the
murrayas. The smell makes me want to toss my lunch. It isn't like rotten
flesh, more like really cheap public toilet air "freshener" but
concentrated.

David