Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 PM
mmarteen

Default toxic soil?

I would definitely do some research on this and not rule out vegetable
gardening. There are lots of city gardens and community gardens that face
this problem. First get the soil tested, then when you know how bad a
problem you have, you will know what kind of remediation steps you need to
take. Sometimes just raised beds with fresh soil is the answer. You can
also line the bed with various types of barriers.

For info about lead in the soil read this:
http://www.greeninstitute.org/GSP/gartips/leadsoil.html

mm

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(mags) wrote:

hello,
i've just begun a vegetable garden with my cousin on my aunt and
uncle's property. the spot we are planting is right next to a burn
pile. many of the ashes of burnt garbage have been dumped on the
area. while i was digging in the ground i found pieced of charred
plastic and even a battery at on point. i am concerned that this is
not health to be growing in? does any one have advice for me?

happy gardening,
margie

It's perfectly safe, you can even eat the plastic.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/