Old 23-09-2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

I 'canned' lots of tomatoes last year. They looked beautiful but it was a
long and energy consuming process and, to be frank, we were disappointed
with the result...

Do you mean disappointed by how they tasted when you eventually ate
them? Had they lost flavour, or acquired an unpleasant one?

. . . might just as well have frozen them...

Maybe so. Do you ever worry about power cuts and losing a year's
produce? And to keep things frozen for a year or more also consumes
energy. Anyway, I'm interested in some of the alternative, old-fashioned
ways of preserving foods, including drying. What do you dry your apples
in?

Brian Mitchell