Old 23-09-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

My mother used to dry sliced beans in the airing cupboard. They were
spread out on sheets of newspaper. After drying she put them in Kilner
jars. They kept for well over a year, but seldom lasted that long. They
needed soaking before cooking and never quite swelled back to their
original size, but were still surprisingly tasty.

Drying beans in a warm cupboard would work - we don't have an airing
cupboard though :-) I think that drying very wet fruit, such as tomatoes,
wouldn't.

We've been eating our runner beans (unsliced) every day for a few weeks now,
I've just come in from gathering tonight's ration. We can't get enough of
them fresh. I've tried salting and freezing them but never drying - we don't
tire of them.

Mary