Old 23-09-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Might damsons trees in a hedgerow have the odd thorn or two? This morning we
| picked what we think are fruits -too -big to- be -sloes but there were a few
| long thorns on some of the branches. I plan to jam them but if they are
| sloes they may not yet be sweet enough so they may have to be "ginned"
| instead!

Yes, but I am afraid that you are confused. They are likely to be
bullaces - the 'wild' damson (and ancestor of modern plums) - probably
introduced by the neolithic farmers. But there is no need for fruit
to be sweet to be good for jam - both sloes and Chaenomeles make very
good jam, and you can make good jam with unripe fruit.

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

Or cheese, which I have, and chutney, which my wife has :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.