Old 23-09-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default stopping tunneling rodents

On 9/22/2007 10:54 PM, cc wrote:
I have a large backyard that borders an open field. At night some type
of digging rodent(s) come under the fence and dig up bugs in my lawn.
While natural, it leaves holes in the lawn and holes under the fence.

Problem is that the land drops off past the fence, so am lookiing for
a cheap way to put down some type of barrier along the back. Yes, have
put down bug killer to lessen the food supply, but need a permanent
solution.

Cannot afford a retaining wall or sunken stone wall, and with the drop
off, don't know if it would hold anyway. ONe more thing - sprinkler
line runs along same fence.

Anyone have a economica, viable, solution?

It could be a raccoon or oppossum.

You can use a large Havahart (have a heart) trap. When you catch an
animal, take the trap to your local animal control agency. They should
relocate the animal away from you.

Alternatively, trench along your fence about two feet down. Use chain
link fencing to extend the fence the depth of the trench. If the
existing fence is not chain link, extend the mesh about two feet up the
INSIDE of the existing fence. (If you put it on the outside, it will
provide a convenient way for an animal to start climbing your fence.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean