Old 23-09-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

Equally well, you can make a good gin cordial with bullaces and
suitable damsons, though I haven't done it myself.

When I were a lad, like, my grandparents would send me out to pick sloes in
the hedgerows around the village. It was always cold and miserable and I
hated the job. One year, I found what I thought were large sloes and thus
filled the basket much quicker. They wouldn't use them but gave them to an
uncle who reckoned that they made the best "sloe" gin he'd ever had. They
were probably bullaces.

I also had to help make the liqueur which was another chore since GF made a
dozen bottles and GM mad another dozen that GF didn't kmow about. Each sloe
had to be pricked. BTW, they rarely drank it but gave it away as gifts.
Graham.