Old 23-09-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

In article
Charlie Pridham writes:
| In article ,
| says...
| The message
| from "Sue" contains these words:
|
| I wondered about bullace but isn't a bullace more of a greeny colour?
| (outside I mean). I am just about to jam them now anyway.
|
| IIRC this came up this time last year and surprised me.
|
| If you look at Bullace in Google Images they show both colours ...
|
| Someone last year posted a link to a site with dozens of varieties of
| bullace and damsons and the various species involved, needless to say I
| can not now remember what I did with it!

Ah! Looking on Google has reminded me of the situation. The term
"bullace" is used for the wild or naturalised plum that was probably
introduced to Europe by the neolithic farmers, but it is ALSO used
for garden varieties of what is effectively a green damson (i.e.
essentially a small, strongly flavoured greengage).

Hence the confusion :-)

Anyway, all varieties are edible and excellent ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.