Old 24-09-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Fall chores

Here in northern Florida we aren't worrying about frosts quite yet. We
generally only get about three blasts of cold air, during which times
the temperature can (and has) dipped below freezing at night. I've
seen it happen here as early as Thanksgiving, or in late November.
But sometimes it holds off here and we get to close out the year with
no freezing temperatures. I've been told it has gotten cold enough
here for ice to form in years past, but I've never seen any on the
ponds since I've been here. I used to live in Hawaii, and here, like
there, gardening is mostly pruning. There, like here, there are four
seasons, make no mistake about it, but winter here just isn't very
cold. Harmful bugs and critters just don't die off in the winter here
like they do farther up north. It's a mixed blessing to be sure, but
as for me, I'd rather deal with the bugs than shovel snow.
--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"