Old 24-09-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Balcony Gardening?

I've always wanted a big garden for as long as I can remember But
I've literally just got my first flat with my boyfriend.
Does anyone have any creative ideas for the balcony? It's really not
big at all, I have a low budget and limited space.

Can you get big (2 cu ft/55 liters) polythene bags of potting soil
in the UK? If so, you've got the start of a "pillow garden" that can
be really cute and cheap. For the rest of it, you'll need some waterproof
tape (maybe) and a funnel or a plastic water bottle with the bottom cut out
so it can act like a funnel, a knife and some plants.

One bag will grow a standard tomato, or multiple smaller plants.

Start by laying the bag down on the ground, and bringing the sides or ends
of the bag in towards the center, so the soil inside becomes a thicker
layer. How thick? You choose. Tape the bag edges you've turned in to
the bag so it'll hold its new shape. Cut a couple of Xs in the bottom of the
bag.. maybe an inch long or so and turn the bag over and position it where
you want your new planter.

Cut one or more Xs on the top and/or sides of the bag, and stick a seedling
through each X. Cut a couple more x's very low on the sides... drainage
holes. One more X in the top, fairly centrally located, for the funnel or
the plastic water bottle neck shoved in that X. Water and watch
your plants grow.

The one disadvantage of this is you will have to fertilize with a water-
soluble fertilizer. Generally, by frost, the bag is a solid mass of
soil held together by roots. You can keep the bag for next year if you
think it'll hold up, or remove the plastic, chop the soil and roots up
and use it for planting mix next year in a more conventional planter.

One thing to think about with balcony gardening... try not to put much weight
on the outer edge of the balcony unless yours is well braced. At least here
in the US, skinny little apartment balconies tend to be designed with the
thought that they'll hold a charcoal grill and a few 8-12" flower pots and
one person. When you put a lot of heavy, wet soil out on the edge of a
balcony, you may be loading it more than it was designed for. Or as my DH
the engineer says, "Any fool can build a bridge that will stand up. Takes
an engineer to build one that will barely stand up." g Substitute
balcony for bridge and you've got the issue with modern US building codes
in some places....

Kay