Old 24-09-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

"Broadback" wrote
I still have the Kilner jars my mother used, the problem now is getting
the lids and rubber bands to fit. Most fruit preserves well, got a nice
collection of blackberries this year. during the war Mum preserved apples
by slating and drying, a good soaking after and they were fine in pies,
how she did it though I do not know.

I used to dry mine by peeling, coring and cutting into rings. these were
then hung on a wooden pole in the sun to dry. they used to keep fairly in an
airy space.

http://www.nsapples.com/teacher/t5fdryap.htm
http://www.electricscotland.com/gard...ing_apples.htm

Jenny