Old 24-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Rain Barrels?

On Sep 24, 12:40?pm, Jennifer wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
But the amount of water you describe is far less than I pee each
month, a 1 liter urinalful each day, even if 4 months worth all in one
fell swoop, can't possibly be any kind of flooding problem

I'm sure that there are a multitude of other remedies that require no
more than a little sweat labor and no money. Naturally when you call
a contractor for a fix they will make a mountain out of a molehill.

Sheldon...

You're looking at this as though rain is averaged over the year. It
doesn't rain a tablespoon every week, it either rains or it doesn't.

But when it rains... it rains! It doesn't happen often but when it
does, as it did last week, a good two inches of water puddles at my
foundation.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll be looking into a local rainbarrel.

That's like sticking your finger in the dike. A rain barrel will do
absolutely nothing to remedy your foundation flooding... how long do
you think in that kind of rain it will take for a 50 gallon barrel to
fill from roof downspout and overflow as though it were never there...
probably under a minute.... now what? You'll still have only about 1
liter a day to allot.

That kind of rain pattern (a very occasional torrent) is all the more
reason that a rain barrel will be useless. I once lived in So. Cal...
50 gallons meted out over a few months is so very little, hardly worth
the schlepping, and soon as it's poured goes right through with such
desert-like sandy soil as is typical there. Unless you're willing to
install like a 1,000+ gallon cistern it's not worth collecting very
occasional rain water... rain barrels are advantageous only where it
rains often even if only sparse amounts... then they can collect that
50 gallons every few days, and even then so little collected water is
only meant to suppliment spot watering, potted plants and such. Most
folks where you reside who are interested in gardening install drip
systems.