Old 24-09-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| I made a small sample of jam from what I believed to be wild damsons,
| and found it had a sufficient hint of sloe-bitterness that I did not
| wish to eat it. I suggest making a small sample and tasting it before
| you make 10kg.

Well, the damson jam I made from Farleigh damsons has quite a hint.

| I have a suspicion that sloes and wild damsons tend to interbreed,
| resulting in a range of things with intermediate levels of thorniness
| and bitterness. So it is possible that not everything I picked was 100%
| damson.

Implausible. Different chromosome numbers. Wild damsons (bullaces)
do vary in thorniness and colour, and almost certainly size and flavour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.