Old 24-09-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Less gardens, more gardening?

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , ShinyRed says...

I?m new to this forum, but thought you might be interested that
gardening is more popular than ever, despite the fact that less and
less of us have gardens! So much so that Yell.com have refined Garden
Centres as a specific key word search in their directory.

Do you think it?s part of the home improvement trend, are people
valuing their gardens more, and spending more time in them?

I'm sure people spend more money and/or time in gardens for a variety of
reasons. I can think of the following, in no particular order:

1. A place to relax and "get back to nature" - or as close as many urban
dwellers can get to nature at the end of a working day.

2. A place to raise quality vegetables, cheaply.

3. A chance to get away from the spouse!

4. Exercise.

5. A love of flowers and seeing beautiful gardens.

6. Some create gardens to attract and nurture wildlife.

7. I think some even have the garden "done" by someone else as a way of
keeping up with the Jones's - I know at least one family that fit this
category.

8. Add value to a property.

9. Somewhere for the kids to play and be outdoors but still under the
watchful eye of parents.

Any more reasons? I bet there are.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating

Well AFAIK gardening is a hobby for the slightly more mature person and as
we are all living longer it follows that there will be more gardeners:-)