Old 24-09-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default Less gardens, more gardening?

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

snip

That trend is standard across the UK. It is the one main reason we left
to come to France. I believe the catchphrase is "affordable space". We
did try to find a property in the UK that had a big garden that fitted
our budget but surprisingly the estate agents and online sites in the UK
just can't handle "big garden" as a criterion.

Rightmove and similar web sites were complete rubbish for finding
anything suitable. We spoke to a number of estate agents giving them our
criterion but the common reply was that "what may be a big garden to one
person may be a small garden to another".

snip

Finding a suitable property here in France was a doddle. The internal
area of houses and total property area including land is always part of
the standard specification. Why don't estate agents do this in the UK?

The innumeracy of the British and particularly their estate agents
always amazes me. No-one here ever seems to know how big their
gardens are in square feet, square metres, roods, acres or hectares
or anything else.
The same is true with houses. "Four bedrooms" is as much as you ever
get. "Four big bedrooms or four small bedrooms?" Ah "what may be a big
bedroom to one person may be a small bedroom to another".