Old 25-09-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

--

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Sue" writes:
| Great minds think alike!
|
| I made a tiny jam sample this very morning. Presence of astringency
| confirmed suspicions that the "damsons" are indeed sloes.
|
| I now have six little jars of sloe cheese! Sampled it with sausages
| tonight...delicious!

Er, no. If there is merely a presence of astringency, then they are
almost certainly damsons - they are usually somewhat astringent.
Sloe cheese would be SO astringent that even I might baulk at it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

OK. The plot, like the jam, thickens.

I have never noticed astringency in home-made damson jam. Must be my taste
buds.

And can anyone explain the thorns for me if they were in fact damsons?

Sue W.