Old 25-09-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sloes/damsons (slightly OT)

In article ,
"Sue" writes:

| Er, no. If there is merely a presence of astringency, then they are
| almost certainly damsons - they are usually somewhat astringent.
| Sloe cheese would be SO astringent that even I might baulk at it.
|
| OK. The plot, like the jam, thickens.
|
| I have never noticed astringency in home-made damson jam. Must be my taste
| buds.

Or your damsons. They vary, both with variety and ripeness.

| And can anyone explain the thorns for me if they were in fact damsons?

Sigh, yes. As I posted. Bullaces (wild damsons) sometimes have thorns;
it is quite likely that a few cultivated varieties do, too. The same
applies to apples.

The point with both is that the original species is usually a thorny
shrub; it has been bred to be a thornless tree, but older and less
highly bred varieties may have some characteristics of the original.
And seedlings may revert, or hybridise with the wild form (both of
which are still common over all of Europe).

Sloes are a different species, one of the two ancestors of the plum.
Crab apples are the same species as domestic apples.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.