Old 25-09-2007, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Clark[_2_] Clark[_2_] is offline

Default My new Craftsman garden tractor needs an alignment bad!!!

wrote:
Just took delivery of the tractor (a 28750) and it runs very well, I'm
very happy with it.

One thing though, when I stand in front of the tractor the front
wheels clearly show an excessive toe in. I'd say if you'd draw a line
from each wheel forward, the lines would cross at about 50 feet, which
is pretty bad.

I know that in the long term, the forces generated on the wheels will
wear the bearings, tires and steering system, not mentioning the extra
fuel consumption. Not sure it will damage the grass in the long run,
but it's certainly not a good thing for it.

The steering system is probably identical on the large Husqvarnas and
Cratfsman, and Husqvarna publishes their owners manuals on the web. I
looked for a toe adjustment of any type in the manual as well as on
the tractor and could not find one. Everything's fixed.

One possibility is the two drag links that go from the Gear sector
plate to the spindles. Those are already bent in two places, and
unbending them a bit would push the toe out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

I have a new craftsman also, it to has a lot of tow in, I have been back to
Sears to look at the floor models, they all appear to be the same.
I think your toe in is normal, and it helps with your turn radius.

I'm sure one of regulars will chime up with advice, lookout for 10' pine
stick jokes, (long story)

Clark