Old 25-09-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT No mention of gardens but....

"raeannsimpson" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 25, 4:33 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"William Wagner" wrote in message

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message
My friend Don sent me this.

DON'T TAKE ME IF I DON'T WANT TO GO..........

After Mr.and Mrs. Fenton retired, Mrs. Fenton insisted her
husband accompany her on her trips to Walmart. Unfortunately,
Mr. Fenton was like most men--he found shopping boring and preferred
to get in and get out. Equally unfortunately, Mrs. Fenton was
like most women--she loved to browse.

One day Mrs. Fenton received the following letter from her local
Walmart.

Dear Mrs. Fenton:

If Mrs. Fenton is like your typical WM shopper, she would not be able
read the note.

What a mean spirited SOB.

Bill

Tell me something, Bill: If you buy a box of cereal for $3.00 at WM, and
friend points out that the same exact box of cereal costs $2.69 at the
grocery store all the time, without a sale going on, what would you say?

Let's extend this: If your local newspaper took a big shopping list to WM
and two grocery stores, and found that both grocery stores were
significantly cheaper than WM for the exact same list of items, what
would
be your reaction to that?- Hide quoted text -

Sorry Joe, gotta disagree with you here....Locally 8 times outta 10,
Wally world is cheaper than the Food Lion & Piggly Wiggly
prices...unless Food Lion has something on the MVP buy. Well, it's
cheaper for the regular things on my shopping list, except for meats.
Especially for the generic items. I can buy a box of Great Value Honey
Nut Spins cereal for $1.87 whereas the same size box of Honey Nut
Cheerios at the grocery stores cost $2.69. Diapers, cake mix (for when
I cheat instead of making from scratch), can goods, sugars & flours,
milk, most frozen goods, breads, baby foods, household supplies, junk
foods, etc are all cheaper there. Another example: I can get Bre's
diapers at wally world (parents choice) 40 for $5.74 whereas food lion
brand diapers are $7 and some change for 40.

Now remember, that just here & using my shopping list... The things on
my regular list that I don't buy at walmart: son's training pants (get
them at food lion), baby's laundry detergent, & meats. Occasionally
the fresh veggies are cheaper at food lion, but only when on sale...

Right. Not in all markets. Here, they are almost never cheaper, and
certainly not for a long list of ***GROCERY*** items.

And yet, I know a half dozen people who buy all their groceries at WM, and
when shown that they're spending more, will say things ranging from "Whuh?"
to "Whatever, but it's still cheaper".

But it isn't. Their evidence is rather odd: It's the big yellow signs which
tell them it's cheaper.