Old 26-09-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Estimated Cost of Pebble Rock

My PC calculator approximates to just under 15 yards of your material.
There's 9 cubic feet in a cubic yard. Such material is sold by the yard,
otherwise known as a cubic yard. The larger "Dixie" version dump trucks can
carry 12 yards of material.
Dave

"Will" wrote in message
I need help calculating potential cost for building a pebble stone walkway
on the side of an office building. The walkway is made of dirt, and it is
the only way to get from the main parking lot in back of the building to
the front entrance. During heavy rains it floods and you end up getting a
lot of mud on shoes. We had the idea to lay down about 2 inches of
pebble stone, and then set on top of the pebble stone flagstone to use as
stepping stones. This would hopefully raise the steps high enough to get
out of the accumulating water.

I had an intern today do a rough volume measurement to calculate the
amount of pebble stone to buy, and I was surprised by the result. The
walkway is about 160 feet long, and varies between 3 feet and 8 feet wide,
probably averaging about five feet. If we lay down under two inches of
pebble stone, we calculated that we would need about 223 cubic feet of
material, which we calculated based on weight and volume of the
pebblestone to be about 13K pounds of stone, a little over six metric
tons.

That strikes me as a lot of stone. Does this sound ballpark correct for
the amount of space described here? This assumed we pretty much covered
all of the walkway space with pebble stone that is about two inches deep.
After seeing the amount of stone here, I'm ready for Plan B, which might
be something like building a very narrow strip of pebble stone. I just
worry about that dispersing over time.

What kind of contractor would be good at designing something like this?
The gardeners seem to have fairly random ideas about it. Is there
something equivalent to an "interior decorator" for outside garden areas?
What should I be searching for in yellow pages?

--
Will