Old 26-09-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Estimated Cost of Pebble Rock

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:47:55 -0700, Will wrote:
I'd figure a ton of crushed rock per 100 sq ft 2" deep, so:
160 ft x 5 ft = 800 sq ft, or 8 tons of crushed rock, about $100 here +
delivery and spreading. In cubic feet, that's
160' x 5' x 0.167' = 133.6 cu ft or just under 5 cu yards.

For a nice quality river-washed stone that was about 1/4 inch diameter per
stone on average we were being quoted $260 per ton. So at 8 tons that
gets to be serious money. You really get 8 tons for $100 there?

That's what they're telling me now... two years ago it was $89 for 11
tons, delivered, and I slipped the driver a little extra for starting the
spread for us by dumping while moving (which saved everyone from having to
drive around the pile of gravel till Tom got home.)
Gave Tractor Tom another $80 for spreading it and
reworking the crown on the road and taking out the beginning of an
erosion gully and some potholes -- that was about an hour and a half's work.

On the other hand, friends who didn't know about
ordering from the quarry paid something like $150 for 2 tons of
crushed rock for their driveway. Not spread.

I guess
I should start calling quarries and that's a good idea.

Yah, washed river rock is basically decorative aggregate. Rolls underfoot and
is often slick when wet, and then it sinks into the mud. Perfect for putting
a top decorative layer on concrete (though it's still slick when wet -- how's
your liability insurance?. Crushed stone
will tend to interlock and stay on the surface, at least for a few years.
Eventually, you get to sort of a steady state with crushed rock.

My personal choice for cheap would probably be a good thick layer of
wood chips,
often obtainable for free from tree trimming companies who want to avoid
dump fees, followed by a little work with a bobcat with a blade or such.
Yes, you'll have to renew them every few years, but they're safe and pleasant
to walk on, and a nice color. If you've got anyone who is a "bad walker",
decomposed granite over a compacted stone base is probably a better choice.

If you want to do it right, you probably need to go in with drainage tile/
tubing covered with crushed stone (washed to remove fines) or pea gravel
and then topped with your surface rock. Here's an old book with a
pre-geotechnical fabric path cross section (pp. 73-74)
http://books.google.com/books?id=2fo...ion+footp ath

In terms of types of stone, I was hoping to find something with a smooth
surface, maybe brownish tones. River washed rock would be perfect. What
do you spend for small pebble stone of that type in your area? I guess I
need to do more aggressive shopping on price.

Hey, if you want to come get 'em, I've got plenty of little round rocks
in our yard... just pick a spot and start digging and sifting. Most of 'em
are a nice reddish brown. We would
appreciate it if you'd dynamite anything bigger than a Volkswagen, though.

Kay, who has Tractor Tom bring his backhoe when she plants trees