Old 26-09-2007, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

Re fruit fly. This was mentioned on ABC radio many hours past my sleep
time, so was half asleep, but I remember someone using some type of
cloth to keep the little buggers of the tomatoes. Thing is where do you
get it? Bunnings, or nurseries?

Lionel van den Berg wrote:
Leftred wrote:
I always found that most varieties, including grosse lise, grew well
enough, the real problem is fruit fly.

In the end, I just grew cherry tomatoes because they have a tougher
skin and are more resistant to fly strike. As well, they taste great.
They also grow prolifically, whether you let them spread on the ground
or train them up a wall or fence.

Yeah, cherry tomatoes definitely the most successful. I've got some of
them in at the ends of my bean rows, waiting to take over when beans die
off .

Best vegie in Brisbane is Silverbeet, give it water and you get well
rewarded.