Old 26-09-2007, 12:08 PM posted to aus.gardens
Lionel van den Berg Lionel van den Berg is offline

Default Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

Jonno wrote:
Re fruit fly. This was mentioned on ABC radio many hours past my sleep
time, so was half asleep, but I remember someone using some type of
cloth to keep the little buggers of the tomatoes. Thing is where do you
get it? Bunnings, or nurseries?

Yeah, it would be preferable to use something like a cloth rather than a
chemical.

I've heard that comfrey can be used as a pesticide. I'm going to give it
a go at some stage, I think you rot the leaves in water for a few weeks,
then dilute it and spray your plants with the resulting solution. It's
also a good liquid fertiliser.

I keep marigolds and basil growing to help out a bit, I might get some
garlic into action soon too, but I don't think any of these will be any
good on fruit fly!

Lionel.