Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Cate

Default newbie azalea question

"Suja" wrote in message
Cate wrote:

I'm in zone 5b. Last year I bought some azaleas (don't know the variety

but
they were grown here) from my local garden shop and planted them in May

in
my front yard in a spot that gets partial to full sun (southern

exposure)
from dawn to dusk. They didn't seem to get any bigger but otherwise

seemed
to do quite well besides needing an occasional soaking from the hose in
addition to our rainfall.

Generally, I think that azaleas do better with less sun, although the
deciduous ones do take more sun. I hope that you verified with the
garden center folks that whatever you were buying would overwinter in
your region.

Hey, Suja!

You'd think I would have verified that, but I recall ASSuming that they
would, since the accompanying tag said they'd grow to a certain height
(higher than the 12"-14" inches they were at the time). I'll go back and see
if I can get any info out of them, maybe take a bit of the bush along.

My question is this: with the rest of my yard just now thinking of

greening
up, I'm warily eyeing my azaleas. All their leaves are totally brown. Do

need to do anything to them to ensure their continued good health? Pluck

the
leaves? Cut the ends off branches?

I'd say that you wait and see. While you're at it, peek over at the
neighbors' to see what their azaleas are doing.

What a good idea. I'll have to drive around in search of some. For some
reason (see the dope slap coming?) none of my immediate neighbors seem to
plant azaleas much. Something else to ask the Agway folks.

The leaves might have
turned brown because you have a deciduous variety, or because you got
some winter kill. Either way, waiting a little longer might be your
best option.

If no one else answers (I have limited experience with azaleas), try the
Azalea forum on gardenweb (forums.gardenweb.com/forums/).

Thanks.

Cate