Old 26-09-2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racoons

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in news:qr-
:

Anyone have and effective remedy against racoons?

I have a backyard vineyard in town and they are
devouring my fruit. They are getting through the
bird netting like it is not even a problem for
them.

it's not. they aren't birds

I have a "have a heart" trap and in the last two
weeks have caught 4 of them. I caught two
earlier in the season for a total of 6 so far. I
take them about 6 miles away. Is this far
enough? How large a family do they usually have?

is trap & release legal where you are? it's not in a lot of
places because it's both inhumane & dangerous for the animals.
in any case, no, 6 miles is not far enough to move a racoon to
prevent it's return. minimum of 20. they have rather large
ranges, especially males.
a female racoon will usually have between 2-8 kits. they stay
with mom for a year, until the next litter is born, then
they're kicked out. some teenage racoons stay in gangs for the
next year until they get to be 2 years old, but not all of
them do this.
is your grape arbor small enough to enclose in a chainlink
dog pen (you can get extra panels to extend length & width)?
that would keep the racoons out, as they aren't much for
digging.
or you could get electric fencing... either sheep mesh or
standed, with the wires at 6", 1' & 3' should also keep them
out.
lee