Old 26-09-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racoons

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

enigma wrote:

is trap & release legal where you are? it's not
in a lot of
places because it's both inhumane & dangerous
for the animals.

Not as inhumane as trapping and then shooting
them

actually, yes, it can be. local populations have their own set
of parasite & disease resistances, their own set pattern of
food gathering, their own 'pecking order'. moving an animal to
a strange location is pretty much dooming them to a slow death
due to starvation, disease/parasites, or fighting & subsequent
infection if they aren't killed outright.

is your grape arbor small enough to enclose in
a chainlink
dog pen (you can get extra panels to extend
length & width)? that would keep the racoons
out, as they aren't much for digging.

No, it is about 60 fee long and 60 feet in width

nice size! what types of grapes do you have?

or you could get electric fencing... either
sheep mesh or
stranded, with the wires at 6", 1' & 3' should
also keep them out.

May be a good option but then again, I live in
town and I don't know about the legality of
electric fences either.

hmm. i don't see why not. kids learn real quick not to mess
with electric fences
have you tried one of those sprinklers with a motion sensor?
lee

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be