Old 26-09-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racoons

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
nice size! what types of grapes do you have?

I grow Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet
Sauvignon.

not a fan of merlot. i do like the cabernets. i had a pinot
noir when i moved here, but it got strangled by the faster
growing concords... so i ripped out all the grapes.
i'd like to replant & a vintner just bought the house across
from us for a summer house, so i'll be picking his brains
first. i think i can supply the translation from CA to NH
growing conditions.

have you tried one of those sprinklers with a
motion sensor? lee

Have not tried that. Do they work?

i'd have to say i think it depends a lot on the local racoon
population. for the most part, i'd suspect it would work for a
few weeks, especially if you move it around a bit. racoons do
*think* and they will start to ignore something not completely
random.
they work pretty good on deer, but deer are not very smart.

I have not had a problem with them until this
year. I have been trapping and releasing ground
hogs this year and now that they seem to be gone
the racoons are moving in. I also have
occasional problems with deer but I have only
seen them once this year - in early March.

is it dry in your area? or has it been a particularly lush
year? either one might cause racoons to be in areas they would
normally avoid.
or you may have a new neighbor that doesn't secure his
garbage & they've moved in because of an easy food source...
lee