Old 27-09-2007, 01:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Malcolm Manners Malcolm Manners is offline

Default Source of hard seeds

Hi folks, I teach an introductory plant science course to college
freshmen, and one of the labs that they do is various forms of
scarification of hard seeds (hot water, acid, physical abrasion, etc.).
We've always used Albizia julibrissin, with excellent success. But
this year, the seed weevils have destroyed nearly all the Albizia seeds
on the local trees -- good, perhaps, from the standpoint of slowing it
as an invasive weed, but also harmful to my lab. So I'm in search of
another source -- a different species would be fine -- of seeds that I
could purchase. Are any of you aware of a USA commercial source of some
fairly large-seeded hard seed species in lots of around a pound or two?

Thanks.

Malcolm Manners
Florida Southern College