Old 27-09-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Shady veggies wanted

said:

I have a spot where I would like to plant some veggies but the area gets

only 3-4 hours of
sun in the summer and I was wondering if anything worth while would

grow there. Any recom
mendations would be greatly appreciated.
BTW I have roses growing there right now which I want to move to the

front of the house wh
ich would open up the area hopefully for berries or vegetables.

In my experience, the most likely veggies to produce where shade is
an issue are green beans, chives, parsley, lettuce and a few other types
of loose, leafy greens.

It's far better if most of the sun is in the morning and most of the shade
is in the afternoon than the other way around.

(attributed to Don Marti)