Old 27-09-2007, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

In article HvQKi.20074$nO3.19642@edtnps90, clarissa
wrote:

Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are the
moles that topple plants, disturb carefully laid small cobble patios, kill
perennials and shrubs. I can forgive the piles of dirt on the lawn because
grass soon fills in but killing much- loved plants is very discouraging. I
have tried everything I can think of - human hair, mothballs and gum in the
runs, flooding or gassing the runs, small windmills to create vibration, and
so forth. Nothing seems to work. I really don't want to trap them since I
think they probably die a terrible death. So can anyone suggest something
else that works. Many thanks for any help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

I used to suffer with moles in my lawn every year. Even though I
backfilled the mounds of earth, the tunnel network eventually became so
dangerous (frequent turning of ankles as the lawn collapsed), I decided
to open them all up and fill them in with topsoil. reseeding
afterwards.

The lawn recovered quickly but I waited in some trepidation for the
varmits to return, tunnelling through the lovely fresh soil I had left
in their tunnels. Two years on and I am surprised and relieved to say
that they still haven't returned. I still have the odd fresh molehill
elsewhere in the garden (and I catch the odd mole with traps) but the
lawn seems to be ignored. Perhaps there's a mole law which says Thou
Shall Not Burrow Where Thou Hast Burrowed Before.