Old 28-09-2007, 05:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Dave is offline

Default Ready for winter

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Getting ready for the cold days of winter. Split about a cord of firewood
today. Some mountain ash and some shag bark hickory. The pile didn't go
down much and I'm tired already.

Time to get a private, or perhaps, a recruit....

My area, central TX, no need, at least me anyway. There's some that use
local live oak for their fireplace in winter. Don't seem them ever
splittin' or cuttin' it. Their chimney smoke is stifling to breathe on no
wind/high humidity days, the whitetail deer don't seem to appreciate it
either.

My use for live oak is BBQ. Have plenty of dead branches (lack of sun due
to juniper ashe) to work with. In the past 2 years I've lived here, haven't
cut any entire live oaks down.

Juniper ashe (cedar its called in these parts)? Still cutting down those
outside the perimeter of the yard. Fire hazard. Burns like gasoline, wet
or dry.
Dave