Old 28-09-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default preserving (canning) fruit and veg

jane wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:47:31 +0100, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:

~jane wrote:
~
~ jane (who is soon about to find out about sterilising baby bottles
the ~ hard way!)
~
~Why? Save time, money and trouble, and breastfeed!

You still need sterile bottles when you have to provide milk
(whatever the source) to the nursery when you go back to work!!!!!!

Debatable. If you've got a dishwasher, that's sufficient by the time a
baby's 6mo. Once a baby's capable of picking up random stuff and sticking it
in their gob, sterilising becomes less of an issue. I only ever sterilised
(cold water method) when I was expressing for the local milk bank. The milk
I sent to nursery for YB went into dishwashed bottles. Formula milk's a
different kettle of fish, of course, and grows bacteria far quicker, which
is why it has to be discarded after 24 hours. Breastmilk stays sterile and
drinkable from the fridge for around 7 days!