Old 28-09-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

In article , Philip Lund
wrote:

In message HvQKi.20074$nO3.19642@edtnps90, clarissa
writes
Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are the
moles

I find it very sad that gardeners are so intolerant of moles. Certainly
in England they are one of our few indigenous mammals.

We make strong objections to native peoples of other parts of the world
not tolerating the animals they live among (think elephants and farmers
in India and parts of Africa), yet we persecute and exterminate our own
more humble wildlife.

Why not just be proud to have them in our gardens?

My garden is surrounded by fields and I benefit from all kinds of
wildlife, including resident rabbits which eat my plants and make
unsightly scrapings in the lawn. And yet I leave the rabbits alone - I
enjoy seeing them around the garden.

But moles are different in that their excavations present a serious
risk to injury for me and my family. When the lawn gives way
unexpectedly underfoot, it is possible to break bones. We have had a
couple of sprained ankles. I think this takes wildlife tolerance too
far.