Old 28-09-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Gardening Which report on seeds - the good and the bad

On 28/9/07 12:27, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:08:59 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

This is of interest to all those who buy seeds, both veg. and flowers:
http://www.which.co.uk/files/applica...445-122808.pdf

Apparently, several suppliers have been found to have dead seeds in the
packets and some of them in very high numbers, too.

There's no mention of the dates stamped on the packets they tested or whether
the seeds had all been stored in the same conditions prior to sale. Nor is
there
any mention of how many samples of packets they tested. Did they buy the seeds
off the shelf or by mail order? They should have tested both batches of mail
order and off the shelf.

I listened to something on the radio about this. The Which spokeswoman said
they had bought the seeds in exactly the way any consumer would have done.
Monty Don was interviewed and he confirmed that the GW team had noticed poor
germination results with many different types of seeds but they hadn't noted
which particular ones they were or from which suppliers. As he said, most
gardeners, especially amateurs, would think the fault was theirs, so in one
way this report is reassuring for them.

After buying a camera that Which? recommended as the best, the results
indicated
to me that the testers were colour blind and probably dead from the neck up.
Which?'s own marketing techniques are hypocritical.

We don't take the magazines, so I can't comment on that.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk